Liske Developments - Building Process
1) Personal Preparation
- Finances - One of the first things you will need to do is determine the overall budget for your new home.The budget will drive the entire design and specs of your home.
- Wish List - One of the first things you need to do when you decide to build a custom home is determine what your wish list is. Essentially, what you would like your home to be like. This is obviously going to be driven by your budget, but no matter how large or small your budget may be, dream a little bit.
- Purchase a lot, mature home or an acreage - Because we are a very small, specialized builder, we do not have access to many lots in the newer subdivisions. Therefore, 90% of our clients already have purchased property somewhere in or around the Edmonton area. Because of this, many of our builds are in either mature neighborhoods (50%), on acreages (25%) or on large estate lots that are open to public purchase (10%). If you would like help finding the right lot for you and your family, we would be happy to help in that process.
2) Design & Specs
- Design - At this point, we can roughly estimate how much your house will cost per square foot so that you can begin to sit down with one of our designers and be able to determine the size of house you will be able to build and the interior detail you would like. You would then begin designing your home. You can start from scratch. You can bring ideas. You can bring pictures. You can do what ever you want to design a house that will fit perfectly for you and your family. Be creative. Make it personal. Our designers have a lot of great ideas and have years of experience behind them. They will make sure that your house will be exactly the way you want it - a one-of-a-kind home that fits you perfectly.
- Specs - As you go through the designing, we will also sit down with you to discuss what you would like inside and outside your home. Do you want Vynal siding? Hardi Board? Stucco? What kind of flooring would you like? Would you like granite in your home? A tile shower? A spiral staircase? What kind of insulation would you like? Infloor heating? As we talk through all these details, we also look at your preliminary plans and make recommendations. Every client has their own unique set of specs which is what makes your custom home, truly custom.
3) Sign Agreement and Cost
- Cost - Once the design is finished and the specs are completed, we are then able to give you a firm cost on your home. This cost reflects the final design and the final specs, and if no further changes are made during the building process, that cost is exactly how much you will pay for your home.
Along with this, we can give you a list of reputable suppliers that we love dealing with that give you "builders pricing" so you can make your allowances go as far as possible.
Also, at this time we are able to give you "allowances" that you are able to spend on such things as cabinets, lighting, flooring, plumbing fixtures, etc... You are given the freedom to use those allowances as much or as little as you want and you can transfer those funds to other areas of the house as well. For example, if you don't use up your entire allowance on your cabinets, you can use the extra on flooring or plumbing fixtures or what ever you would like.
- Agreement - It is always important to sit down and take a final look at everything. If everyone is happy, the agreement is signed and we begin to build your new home.
- Selections - Now, the fun part - making your home a reality. Very quickly you will be required to visit our cabinet designer, make decisions about plumbing fixtures, select flooring materials, and select lighting fixtures. We will give you a list of items that you will need to select through the entire building process. All that we require is that you let us know your selections in a timely fashion. We will give you LOTS of lead time to determine when items need to be selected. You will find that there are many decisions that need to be made and we can be as helpful as you want us to be in that process.
- Stay involved - This is vital in the building of a custom home. We will call you MANY times through the process and you will call us MANY times as well. We will give you our personal cell phone numbers so that we can be available to you any time you need.
- Visit the Site - We ask that you visit the site often. Unlike many builders, you may visit as much as you want. In fact, we even give you your own personal key. Get to know our trades. Inspect how things are going. These kinds of actions can only make your house better and more to what you desire it to be.
5) Final Walkthrough
- Walkthrough - Once the home is completed, we walk through it with you to make sure everything is to your satisfaction. At this point you are welcome to move into your new home and begin your life there.
- A one-of-a-kind custom home is never an easy thing to build. Because of this, often times there are little tweaks here and there that need to be taken care of. It could be anything from adjusting the fan speed on your furnace to repairing a nail pop in the drywall. If these items come up, we are always around to make sure that it gets fixed and dealt with (after all, you have our cell phone numbers).